4.22.2020

Declutter Tip: Pass On To Others

When you declutter, what happens to things you want to get rid of? If the item has some use left in it, why not see who you can pass it on to. 

Who Could You Pass It On To?


It is often easier to let go of something if you know it will go to someone who will use it. Who do you know that would enjoy and use the items you no longer need? It may be a friend or family member. It may be a co-worker. It may be a charity that collects items to give to people setting up a household.

A few years ago, a friend decluttered her bathroom. When finished, she gifted me with a variety of hair gels, creams, and mousses. Since we have a similar type of hair, it meant I didn't have to buy hair products for months. As an added bonus for me, I got to sample brands and products new to me and learn what worked with my hair and what didn't. My friend gave herself the gift of space in her home.

Be Sure To Declutter Them


One word of caution: do not let the desire to find someone to pass things on to prevent you from releasing them from your life and home. This was a mistake I made. I had household items I no longer needed but wasn't sure what to do with them. I would keep boxes of things for weeks trying to figure out who would want them. I finally realized that if I didn't know someone to ask while sorting, it was better to load into my car and take to a local charity drop off as soon as I had finished.

Be sure to check items for an expiration date and throw away anything past that date. Some personal care items may not have an expiration date, but for health and safety reasons the trash is a safer place for them. Do some research and use your best judgment and remember....if in doubt, throw it out!

Next Steps


If you know someone to give it to, great! Call them and set a day and time to drop them off. Mark on your calendar the day you will leave items at a charity collection location. If possible store items you are donating in your vehicle so they are out of your living space.

If someone offers you some of their decluttered items, choose wisely what you take. Carefully consider if this is something you would use. It is fine to take some things to try them out, but if they don't work, pass them on or trash them. Don't let them become clutter in your space!



Want more tips to declutter your home? Declutter One Small Space: Avoid Overwhelm While Creating Space is out!

Step-by-step instructions help you to choose one small area, gather the supplies you need, and get it decluttered. Practical and empowering tips help you sort and purge effectively so you keep what you want and need and get rid of what no longer fits your life.


No comments:

Post a Comment